Wednesday, August 10, 2016

"What" I am Voting for VS "Who" I am supporting


So "what" am I voting for? Notice I did not say "who".


People most often ask which candidate are you voting for? Yes, I agree that a candidates name is on the ballot, I concede that. There is also a party that I must choose to vote.

While these issues are part of our system they do not describe "what" I'm voting for!

Within our system there appear to be two major thoughts. There are progressives and there are conservatives. The "what"  on each persons mind often entails a mismatch of thoughts. What one person determines the meaning of each position is up for grabs. If I had to choose a label then I'd have to choose that I fall into the conservative category. (Isn't a category a place old cats go?)  Sorry! :-)

That really does not define my position. It's simply a broad category.

So "what" does that mean to me personally?

  1. Secure Borders
  2. Balanced effective Financials
  3. Debt Retirement
  4. A welfare system that encourages personal growth and integrity
  5. Free Trade
  6. An effective way to handle immigration
  7. Freedom to worship and practice or faith openly.
  8. A Tax system that if Fair and Loopholes closed.
  9. A system that limits the power of the federal government.
  10. A system gives more right to the States to make policies that make sense to them
  11. More power for cities and counties for issues that apply to them
  12. More....
Ah, but those statements do not entirely indicate "what" I really believe or support.

Each major issue has many proponents and opponents. Each must be thought through  carefully and prayerfully.

Is there room for flexibility? Is there a point to which I must stand firm? 

I am convinced that these issues are not necessarily determined by "who' I vote for or "what" party I side with but "what" guides my choices.

So in reality, as a Christian, I am to be faithful to the God who saved my by His Grace. His principles are to be my principles. Some of my big list above may have Biblical significance. Others may not. This gives me insight on "what" is important and where i can be benevolent and able to compromise.

I'm not really voting for a candidate or necessarily a party. The "what" is truly what I believe and what I can substantiate from my source of truth. 


No comments:

Post a Comment